Carnton Plantation was built in 1826 by former Nashville Mayor Randal McGavock. His son John inherited the property after his father's death, and lived at the plantation with his wife Carrie Winder and their children. On November 30, 1864, the plantation became the landscape of the Battle of Franklin, the bloodiest five hours of the Civil War, and in the months following served as the largest field hospital in the area for the wounded Confederate soldiers. In 1866, two acres of the plantation were dedicated to a cemetery for the nearly 1,500 Confederate soldiers that died during the Battle of Franklin.
150 years after the bloody battle, the legacy of Carnton Plantation lives on, and Battlefield Bourbon has been created to honor the important history of the Battle of Franklin. As bourbon aficionados know, the distillery process includes the addition of water to the matured bourbon as it is withdrawn from the barrel. The water used for the creation of Battlefield Bourbon is fresh spring water from the battlefield in Franklin. The bourbon is incredibly small batch, limited to only 1,864 bottles.